Redefining Local Business Investment
Commonwealth Group specializes in assisting impact investors in using Business Development Companies (BDCs) to aggregate Main Street sized businesses into public entities with freely tradable stock.
A New Model for Main Street
As the creator of the "Main Street" BDC model, Commonwealth Group maintains an extensive knowledge base pertaining to the development and management of BDCs in the small and mid-sized business environment. More
Commonwealth Group is a consultancy that specializes in assisting impact investors to use the Business Development Company (BDC) model as a means of increasing the liquidity of investments in small and mid-sized businesses.
- Seminars and instruction on BDC formation and application for impact investors.
- Evaluating the strategic opportunities provided for clients by developing their own BDC or participating in a Virtual BDCTM or VBDCTM.*
- Implementing clients' BDC strategy.
- Helping to find, evaluate and acquire portfolio companies for inclusion in a BDC.
- Setting up standalone turnkey BDCs for clients.
- Establishing Virtual BDC projects for clients under Commonwealth Capital for eventual spinoff into an independent BDC.
- Moving existing or new portfolio companies into an existing Virtual BDC under Commonwealth Capital.
- Training in BDC management for clients who wish to self-manage.
- Management of BDCs and Virtual BDCs on behalf of clients.
A virtual BDC (VBDCTM) is an entity setup under Commonwealth Capital (a BDC established by Commonwealth Group) that acts like a BDC during its growth period and is designed to spin out as a full-fledged independent BDC as it matures.
Why Work With Us
- We are the developers of the Commonwealth Group BDC approach.
- We have extensive knowledge of the legal, operational and financial issues facing BDCs.
- We were among the first to recognize the problem of baby boomer retirements and develop mitigation measures for local economies.
- We offer a means of recouping investments in so-called "walking dead" venture capital portfolio companies.
- We support triple bottom line (3BL) business models.
For more information on how you might benefit from our services, call 650 641 1246 or email us.